OUR PLACE AT STEP

The New Web Presence for NYMC STEP to Celebrate and Reflect on Learning.

New Life in the modules (and to the blog.)

October 31, 2008 by msrich · 1 Comment · Uncategorized

At the Dare to be a Doctor Conference7th and 8th graders -Chemistry project
Our 9 STEP Students were part of the 500+ audience that spent a day with area doctors at the County Center -and heard the inspiring messages from The Three Doctors (of Newark who as young men in their senior of high school made a pact to become physicians- and did!)
Our Med students were also on hand to assist -and were visible as role-models. Here, pictured at left, they pose with some of the students they work with on Saturdays.
_____
The 7th and 8th graders have been asking for more science learning -yes, I said asking for MORE- so our amazing med student instructors have been coming up with all manner of “real” science lessons in the modules. They’ve done forensic explorations (with weird observations of reactions to combinations such as coca-cola and mentos), and, recently they did gel-staining of bacteria samples. Look out on the Wiki for the students’ write-ups of what they learned.
_____

THERE’S AN IMPORTANT COMMENT ON A NEW BLOG PAGE. SEE ABOVE THE BANNER ON THIS PAGE AND CLICK ON ” Turning a New Page….”

One Comment so far ↓

• Ken Schwarz

“When I compare our high schools with what I see when I’m traveling abroad, I am terrified for our work force of tomorrow.” Bill Gates

Is he correct? The mission of STEP is to prove him wrong. I prefer to think of our younger citizens as mini-Obama supporters. Can we prove Bill Gates wrong? Yes we can! Go STEP. Go Obama.