OUR PLACE AT STEP

The New Web Presence for NYMC STEP to Celebrate and Reflect on Learning.

TIME TO STEP UP FOR ONE OF OUR OWN!

April 28, 2008 by msrich · 4 Comments · Uncategorized

mark2.jpgJust a few weeks ago, Mark Araujo was at the annual STEP conference in Albany, New York, setting up his research poster while sizing up the teenage competition in the large room at the Marriott hotel. Mark has been working alongside scientists and technicians in a private pharma lab in our area, and was given his own small slice of a larger project which promises to have an impact on the way pharmaceuticals may be specifically targeted to help the body’s natural processes in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

This week, 17 yr-old Mark and his family, lost their home and everything they owned in a tragic fire which engulfed their apartment building. See the story here.Mark and Jonathan and their parents have been a part of the STEP family for the last four years, and they need our help and the help of all people of good will who read this blog. Mark’s family needs immediate financial help to find a place to live and to purchase furnishings, supplies, school supplies, and other essentials for living. We do not yet have a place to store items, so please begin to collect money for relocation for the family and when I get a list of needed items from Mark, I will post it.

Mark celebrated a victory at that hotel just a few weeks ago, and we were all so proud when he was awarded 2nd place in his category and lifted up that beautiful trophy. Below, Toni is smitten with Mark’s trophy, while Mark is calm and humble. Now Mark and his family are in another hotel -this time their room is provided courtesy of the Red Cross. They do not know where they will be going next, nor how they will move on. We need to rally around our family members and help to bring back some normalcy to their lives. Mark is an extremely bright and promising young man, who has already begun to make a difference on this planet. Let us help! Please!trophy4cropd.jpg

4 Comments so far ↓

• Richard G

Mark and Family,

So sorry, we pledge our help and support

• sandy plaut

So sorry to hear about Mark and his family, will be happy to make a donation , in addition I have household items that are in great shape [lamps,rocking chair, bookcase and clothing] that I can donate as well.

• Imelda Isles

We are so sorry to hear about the Araujo family, on behalf of my family, we will be happy to make a donation.

• Miriam Lovett

I am so sorry to hear what happened to Mark and his family. I heard about the fire on the news but didn’t know it affected someone I knew. My prayers go out to all of them. On behalf of my family, we would be happy to make a donation or do whatever we can to help and support them.